Thursday, January 29, 2015

Leonard Cohen: Ten New Songs (2001)

Untitled
Leonard always took his time between records. After 1992's The Future, we were given Cohen Live: Leonard Cohen in Concert (1994), More Best of (1997) Field Commander Cohen - Tour of 1979 (2000), and a few other box sets and such. So, nine years later, we finally got a new Leonard Cohen record, which I bought immediately on CD. I have seen original pressings of this LP, but none were in good enough shape for me to consider buying.

Sadly, this LP is no where nears as good as The Future or I'm Your Man. It seemed to me that Leonard was sliding gracefully into his elder years. After all, he was 67, or so, when this came out. having said that, this is a pleasant record ad I was thrilled to hear Cohen sing some new songs, ten new songs, in fact.

Each song is beautifully crafted with Leonard's sharp wordsmithing. My only criticism is the production. Many of the tracks simply seem unfinished to me. Still, they certainly grew on me and I think they are truly great tunes.

No comments: