Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Culture Club: Kissing to be Clever (1982)

Untitled
The first time I head Do You Really Want to Hurt Me, I was momentarily amused. I heard the track on some sort of music video hits show. I was always conflicted when watching said shows because I dearly wanted to see music videos, but I generally hated the songs that were played. These shows rarely played anything good.

So, here was an androgynous figure singing an amusing tune. I didn't immediately hate it; I didn't love it. I was stunned when I realized that some of my friends really liked it. Did they have no internal music critic. Did they simply appreciate anything with a melody?

I also bristle when the term New Wave is applied to this band. They were simply a pop band. There was nothing new wave about them, if you ask me. I might concede the title New Romantic, but not new wave.

My copy has an altered track list. Do You Really Want to Hurt Me appears as the lead-off track. A number of tracks are reordered,and Time (Clock of the Heart), the last track, is not mentioned on the sleeve or labels. By the way, I'll Tumble 4 Ya would likely make my list of worst songs of the 80s.

No comments: