Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Eagles: The Long Run (1979)

Untitled
To me, this record is where the Eagles hit rock bottom. Heartache Tonight is an example of how not to write a song. It contains one of the clumsiest lyrics ever penned:

"We can beat around the bushes;
we can get down to the bone
We can leave it in the parkin' lot,
but either way, there's gonna be a"

So, bone rhymes with gonna? I don't think so. And, I really don't think perfect rhymes are always needed. After all, Billy Bragg once rhymed trousers with spouses, but at least that was funny. And then there's this from Bragg:

One minute she says
She's gone to get the cat in
The next thing I know
She's mumbling in Latin

That's much better writing.

I can live with the title track, but the rest of the album is weak.

No comments: