Friday, September 11, 2015

Echo and The Bunnymen: Crocodiles (1980)

Untitled
Echo and The Bunnymen (later known as Echo & The Bunnymen and even later as Echo and The Bunnymen) were one of my favourite 80s bands. If I were forced to make a list of my top 5 bands from that era, this band would be on that list. Needless to say, I have all of their CDs.  

Crocodiles is a very good debut. It contains Rescue, an essential track, but unless you purchased the cassette version, it lacks Do it Clean and Read It in Books. Apparently, the record company was concerned about the lyrics. How would these guys have managed in the gangsta rap era? I have combed over the lyrics to Do it Clean and just cannot understand what they thought the record company folks thought they saw. It's a bit clearer in Read it in Books, but only if you have a dirty mind.

"You know the words
Please do say it from your knees
Show some respect
Hey baby, genuflect"


No comments: