Monday, October 19, 2015

Brian Eno/David Byrne: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (1981)

Untitled
I remember playing this record one day, not realizing the effect t might have on some people, namely children. My daughter asked me to take it off during The Jezebel Spirit. I guess that's fair enough, given the content of the song, which is a recording of an apparent exorcism. Of course, the idea of an exorcism is stupid. It might make for a good movie, but anyone who believes that humans can be possessed of devils or demons is an idiot, and I include the Pope in that statement.

The album title is taken from Amos Tutuola's 1954 novel of the same name. I haven't read it.

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts is a work of pure genius. It's way ahead of it's time, in some respects. Of course, the reviews at the time were mixed, but now, the album is is praised as being ground-breaking. This has happened so many times, it's a wonder anyone listens to critics any more.

I'm happy to have a copy of this on both vinyl and CD. An expanded and remastered CD version was released, but I just have the original with the same tracks as the record. The sound quality of this Youtube clip is abysmal, but you will understand why young kids might not appreciate the music.

No comments: