Thursday, January 21, 2016

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours (1977)

Untitled
"You came into the party with a long black shawl
and the guys from the front lawn were making jokes about the white swan"

- Stevie Nix, The Hold Steady

In the early days, Fleetwood Mac was a blues band. Some people do not know that, because they seem only to be aware of the Rumours period. These people might be shocked to hear early Fleetwood Mac music.

The band experienced numerous lineup changes, with Stevie joining much later. I must point out that I really dislike Stevie Nicks. On this record, I don't mind her so much, but that song about a bird with one wing stinks, and so does her duet with Tom Petty, which is a shame because I like Tom Petty. When I ripped a copy of Anthology - Through the Years to my computer for my iPod, I deleted that track.

This is an example of an album I heard way too many times. As I might have mentioned, my dad was a big fan of 8 track tapes. My sister gave my dad a copy of Rumours one year, probably for christmas or his birthday, and he took to it like a fish takes to water. On some days during the weekend, he would get up in the morning and put this tape on and just let it play all day, or for hours and hours. Sometimes, he would swap it out for ABBA, which was worse. I wonder what happened to that 8 track?

In some respects, it's odd that I have this record, since I equate it with parental music, and that is usually something we overthrow, generally in our teen years. But, I picked this up for a dollar somewhere. I listened to it recently, and I think one can objectively make the case that it is a minor masterpiece, an almost perfect pop record, despite Stevie Nicks.

No comments: