Friday, February 19, 2016

Frankie Goes To Hollywood: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (1984)

Untitled
I remember the first time I heard Relax (Come Fighting). I wondered what the big deal was and why the BBC would ban such an innocuous-sounding song. I guess I didn't understand what the song was about. I learned subsequently that the focus of the song was homosexual sex, still controversial back then. How narrow-minded humans are. Had I seen the video, I probably would have made the connection.

I wrote off Relax almost immediately, mentally placing it in the mindless stream of horrible top 40 garbage. Later, I heard the extended mix of Two Tribes (For The Victims Of Ravishment), and I felt that this was a much better song. I still think it's an admirable political song.

Upon hearing the album in its entirety, I noted a few interesting elements, but discounted the mediocre attempt to cover Springsteen. The Frankie cover of Born to Run is the very definition of mediocrity. It's a boring run through that seems to not have benefited from any real planning or execution. But, even that song is much better than the appalling Power of Love. I have nothing positive to say about that track.

No comments: