Friday, February 26, 2016

Robert Fripp: God Save The Queen / Under Heavy Manners (1980)

Untitled
This record has both a Side A and a Side One. I've seen other records take a similar tactic, I guess suggesting that each side is of equal importance. This is a good record, but I find that I enjoy Discotronics more than the rest.

Back in the late 1990s, I attended a Fripp concert in Toronto where is he improvised an evening of Frippertronics. By the way, I have a whole raft of Frippertronics CDs (Let the Power Fall, A Blessing of Tears, Radiophonics, That Which Passes, November Suite, 1999 Soundscapes Live in Argentina, A Temple in the Clouds, etc.). Before the concert, a bunch of local subscribers to the Elephant Talk liserv met up for pre-concert beverages and food. That was the first and the last time I ever saw those people.

The concert was weird, in some ways. Once Fripp got some sounds flowing through the loops, he stood up and walked around. He encouraged people to talk. At some level, it seemed a bit like something out of the 60s, without people smoking joints, not that I have any experience with smoking pot in the 60s (I am way too young to have done that).

No comments: