Tuesday, June 14, 2016

George Harrison: Wonderwall Music (1968)

Untitled
Wonderwall was the first solo record from a Beatles member, but it is an odd one, being the soundtrack to the film of the same name. Not surprisingly, I have never seen the film.

The music is heavily influenced by Indian music. Anyone who is familiar with Harrison at this time would know of his fascination with Indian music and religion. The album has been both praised and dissed, as far as I can tell, and I think it has been treated better in hindsight. The public always seems to know what it wants, and the weight of expectations sometimes gets in the way. I like the record, but I like drone and I do like some Indian music and tabla music. That's not to say that the entire record sounds Indian. There is some diversity.

The only other thing I will say is: piss off, Oasis, you bunch of scurvy bastards. I have never owned any Oasis music in any format and I quite honesty cannot figure out what that appeal is. They really thought they were the new Beatles. They were not.

Ii wish I had an original pressing from 1968; instead, I have a German pressing from 1986.

No comments: