Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Father John Misty: I Love You, Honeybear (2015)

Untitled
In what can only be described as a packaging fail, the first pressing, on tricoloured vinyl, were pretty much all warped by the time of purchase. The Dioramic Meta-Musical Funtime gatefold jacket was to blame. When the gatefold jacket is opened, the included midi player plays part of the opening track. But that piece of metal ruined one of both of the LPs inside the jacket.

That reminds me of a birthday card my daughter received almost three years ago. When you open it now, I lets out a warped, aching, and somewhat heartbreaking sound that reminds us of its earlier glory:

Every girl can be a princess, any dream can be
Close your eyes and see
A magic wand and soon you've gone
From just you to royalty 

The record company sent out replacements with an apology letter. I have to say that, despite the visual appeal of non-black vinyl, I prefer black vinyl, which is why I own the standard black vinyl pressing of this record.

Bizarrely, this album was also released on cassette! Here we are in the early twentieth century releasing cassettes again! Have we learned nothing?

This is a great record.


No comments: