Monday, April 03, 2017

Joy Division: Love Will Tear Us Apart (1980)

Untitled
When the routine bites hard
And ambitions are low
And the resentment rides high
But emotions won't grow
And we're changing our ways,
Taking different roads
Then love, love will tear us apart again

Why is the bedroom so cold
Turned away on your side?
Is my timing that flawed,
Our respect run so dry?
Yet there's still this appeal
That we've kept through our lives
But love, love will tear us apart again

Do you cry out in your sleep
All my failings expose?
Get a taste in my mouth
As desperation takes hold
Is it something so good
Just can't function no more?
When love, love will tear us apart again

Love Will Tear Us Apart was dropped in June 1980. I would love to have an original 12" UK. Instead, I have a Canadian 12" from 1983, when it was re-released. These Days is included in addition to two versions of the title track, the original and the Pennine version. The Pennine version is fine, but it can't compete with the single version.

For many people, Love Will Tear Us Apart is the Joy Division track. I think people who only know this tune should dig deeper. In fact, it rather irritates me that there are so many people who only know this song from the band. I've always felt the same away about Lou Reed. For many people, the only Lou Reed track they know is Walk on the Wild Side, and that's a shame.

Just when I  convince myself that my favourite JD track is She's Lost Control or Disorder or Atmosphere or some other tune, I hear this and remember just how epic this song is. The other thing I should say is that I love the cover photograph.

No comments: