Friday, May 15, 2015

The Cure: Acoustic Hits (2001)

Untitled
Acoustic Hits was originally released in 2001 as the second CD of the double CD version of Greatest Hits. In 2017, a remastered version was released on picture discs for Record Store Day, and then shortly after that on black 180 gram vinyl. I didn't buy the RSD picture discs for the same reasons I mentioned for the Greatest Hits collection.

When I bought this record, very recently, the guy at the counter of my local record store told me that a customer tried to return it because it "wasn't acoustic enough." I'm not sure what he had in mind, but I gather it was something like Robert Smith depressively strumming his acoustic guitar all alone in a darkened room. That is not what this record is. It's very upbeat, in fact, and very faithful to the originals. I think this is a brilliant record, and I would award it 10/10.

As I wrote with respect to Greatest Hits: "Buying new vinyl can be a challenge, mostly because of limited supply and crazy prices. Many stores sold out of this re-release immediately. I looked around before I bought it, passing on the first one I saw at $44.99 (which was the same price as Amazon.ca). I then left behind the copy I saw for $39.99, and finally decided I couldn't do better than the $34.99 that I eventually paid."



No comments: