Wednesday, August 30, 2017

John Lennon: Imagine (1971)

Untitled
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You...

Lennon's second solo record contains his biggest hit, Imagine. Imagine is such a great song. At least that's my opinion. When I hear it, I am often reminded about of that famous scene in that WKRP in Cincinnati episode. If you haven't see it - or even if you have - definitely watch it. It's applicable today with regressive leftist fascists trying to impose restrictions of free speech.

The other thing that occurs to me when I reflect on that song is George Harrison, who underwent a religious conversion that has always mystified me. Lennon always seemed far more grounded in reality.

I think it's fair to say that Lennon never equalled the quality his first two records, though about half of the songs on Double Fantasy are truly excellent.

I have a Canadian pressing from 1978 on Capital Records.


No comments: