Tuesday, August 29, 2017

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band: John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970)

Untitled


God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain
I'll say it again
God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain

I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-Ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in yoga
I don't believe in kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me
Yoko…

It's hard to know how to credit this record. The label says "John Lennon" with "Plastic Ono Band" below. Whatever the case, this is the debut studio record from the former Beatle. Yoko Ono's record, released on same day, features a nearly identical album design, and is known as Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band. I think it's common knowledge that Lennon's debut record is considered to be his finest. I think it's also fair to say that Lennon's solo work, with a couple of notable exceptions, is not as well known as the Beatles' records. Perhaps the most recognizable track from this LP is Working Class Hero, but I could be wrong about that. It could be Mother or God. This is, in part, what Allmusic says in its five star review:
"Inspired by his primal scream therapy with Dr. Arthur Janov, Lennon created a harrowing set of unflinchingly personal songs, laying out all of his fears and angers for everyone to hear. It was a revolutionary record -- never before had a record been so explicitly introspective, and very few records made absolutely no concession to the audience's expectations, daring the listeners to meet all the artist's demands ... It's an unflinching document of bare-bones despair and pain, but for all its nihilism, it is ultimately life-affirming; it is unique not only in Lennon's catalog, but in all of popular music. Few albums are ever as harrowing, difficult, and rewarding as John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band." [source]
I have a copy of the first US pressing.

No comments: