Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Nazareth: Greatest Hits (1975)


Now you're messin' with a
(A son of a bitch) now you're messin' with a son of a bitch

This is another record from my childhood, where my musical influences were my siblings and my metal-head cousins, as well as some friends. I would not describe Nazareth as a metal band, but they were heavier than the top 40 and disco stuff polluting the airwaves back then. On the plus side, Nazareth is a Scottish band, and I am 50% Scottish.

I suppose this band is best known for Hair of the Dog and This Flight Tonight, a song I never knew was a cover version until I heard Joni Mitchell's original version, many many years later. Surprise surprise.

Why do I keep it? I guess for nostalgia reasons. I did listen to this about a year ago. It brought back some vivid memories. The most vivid memory is of a Christmas day, long ago, when my cousins and I would play our new records. One of my cousins must have received this as a gift. I think I paid about a dollar for my copy, well after it was released, and it is in pristine condition.

No comments: