Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The National: I Am Easy To Find (2019)

First, the good news: when this LP was released, most local stores were selling it for $39.99, though I did see it for $35.99 a couple of times. I didn't buy a copy, because I was not thrilled with what I heard. Yesterday, a local store had a bunch of the clear vinyl editions for $24.99, so I bought it. After all, The National is one of my favourite bands.

And now, the bad news: what happened? What happened to The National? Maybe it needs a few more listens, but on my first pass through, all I could think was that I was happy not to have shelled out $80 for the triple LP version. There are some songs that I genuinely dislike on this record. Where is Her Head comes to mind first. I do not dislike female backing singers of female vocalists, but there are parts of this record where I wondered if I was listening to a Boney M record.

I will give it another chance, but I am feeling underwhelmed. 

No comments: