Monday, March 18, 2019

New Order: Power Corruption & Lies (1983)

The second New Order record sounds quite different from Joy Division and from the first New Order record. It's more electronic and less gloomy. I can't adequately describe how much I instantly liked this record, right from the first few bars of Age of Consent. The Village and 5-8-6 are also standout tracks.

Discogs:
With its electronic-based sound it marks the definitive turning away from the rather gloomy predecessor and the Joy Division legacy. The album was included in the top 100 albums of the 1980s lists in the Rolling Stone magazine. 
Also, Discogs mentions this, which I did not know: 
The album cover was chosen by the Royal Mail for a set of "Classic Album Cover" postage stamps issued in January 2010. 
For me, the best track on this record is the sublime Your Silent Face. That is an epic piece of songwriting, and my absolute favourite New Order track.

No comments: