Friday, March 15, 2019

New Order: Blue Monday (1983)

And I quote, from Wikipedia: "[Blue Monday] is the biggest-selling 12" single of all time."

And yet, despite being "the biggest-selling 12" single of all time," this record is very expensive to buy second hand. I have seen it anywhere from $25 to $40, and more. I once saw an original UK pressing listed at more than $150 on discogs! There are countless copies in circulation (over one million copies sold in the UK alone), and yet, it's expensive. The answer could be that some record sellers are simply greedy.

This is not the best New Order song, by any stretch. It's OK, but I found myself wondering about the subtle connections between 80s music and disco, which I hated. In fact, one of my friends, way back in the day, argued vehemently that much 80s music was simply disco. I think that's taking it a bit too far, but who knows? She had interesting things to say about beats per minute, etc.

The flipside is, of course, The Beach.

No comments: