Monday, August 16, 2004

Smoking on the Sidewalks

I love the smoking ban that is not in place in bars and restaurants in Toronto. There are still those cases of certain bars (like some near my house) which have morphed into "private social clubs", requiring membership. The ashtrays are still out in those places. I never figured out who would ever go into these places near my house anyway. They are filled with men, all older men, drinking and smoking. Women appear not to be welcome.

The ban has forced people out on the sidewalks. One thing that bothers me is that I have to walk through clouds of smoke on the sidewalks. It is really horrible. It seems to me that there are more people on the sidewalk than sitting is some bars on Bloor Street. And, the sidewalks are becoming a big ashtray. I really wish that smokers would not throw their butts on the ground. It is littering and it makes the city look disgusting. Besides, cigarette butts are not biodegradable. I say, we should ban smoking in all public places.

And now, I have the song Smokin' in the Boys Room on my brain.

Elvis died on this day. I always remember because it is my sister's birthday.

Tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it does suggest that the ban on smoking has only pushed smoking out on the streets, not really solving the problem - a solution is to ban cigarettes all together, but that is but a pipe dream.

According to the Toronto Star, this is your sister's birthday horoscope:

"If today is your birthday: Where would we be without trouble? Irritation helps us appreciate comfort. We need insecurity to prevent boredom. So be glad of all that has lately happened. Appreciate your triumphs. Happy birthday to Madonna, 46."

Madonna and Elvis born on the same day. That can hardly be considered a coincidence. I suspect Elvis would also have been into kabbalah if he was still alive...
CMF | 08.16.04 - 11:18 pm

zydeco fish said...

wow, what an interesting convergence. Elvis, Madonna, and my sister.
zf | 08.17.04 - 8:50 am