Monday, February 14, 2005

A Lost Bet (part two)

Today, I am Spin Doctoring. Cd #2 is the Spin Doctors, a band, believe it or not, I had never heard of before. (Read the previous post if you have no idea what I am talking about). I know, this might seems amazing to some of you but, trust me, there are lots of bands I have never heard of.

First impressions: I hate the cover. Second impressions: the dudes in the band are trying way too hard to look cool. That is always a bad sign, especially when there are hats, scarves, and baby ZZ top beards involved.

So, I made a stop at AllMusic to get an informed opinion about this odd looking bunch of guys. Somewhat surprisingly, the folks at AllMusic give this motley looking crew a positive spin. They say, "not only could immerse themselves in a groove, but they also had concise pop skills." And so, off to the CD.

It's not as bad as I had imagined. There is guitar, drums, a not too irritating vocalist. But, I have to say that the lyrics do nothing for me. They are remarkably lame and uninspired. Having said that, there is little here for me. It's largely average-ish and too much like so many other bands for me. But, I could listen to it again, even without a gun to my head, although I would probably never choose to do so, and will never buy this CD.

So, I am not going to say that its sucks. I should be happy that the person I lost the bet to didn't force something more objectionable on me. Of course, I have three more CDs to go.

I just ate a banana. (not in public, mind you).

Technorati tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha. The thought of you listening to these CDs makes me laugh and giggle like a school girl. This is, like the best bet ever to be conceived and won...

you must get over your banana issues...

Phillipa

Super Happy Jen said...

Spin Doctors. Their one hit was "Two Princes" (which used to be a fave of mine, but I haven't heard it in a while)and I believe they also wrote some song about Superman, something with kryptonite.