Friday, February 11, 2005

A Lost Bet (part one)

I lost a bet and my punishment is that I have to listen to five CDs of the victor's choice, and not necessarily ones that the victor likes. It's more like things that are known to be antithetical to my tastes. And so, I am horrified to report that I am typing this while listening to Mariah Carey's #1's complete with bonus tracks. I am using headphones and, if someone should come into my office and ask what the tunes are, I will have to say something I consider to be the opposite of Mariah, which is probably Skinny Puppy or Throbbing Gristle,or maybe even Mandy Patkinin (ok, so the last one is a joke).

So far, I have listened to five songs and they pretty much all sound the same. I feel like there is something boring huge chunks out of my brain. It may well lose thought capacity and slide down the IQ scale. I have to say that as much as I dislike it, I don't feel like I am under aural assault like when I happen to hear Celine Dion. Of course, my feelings about her music are known.

My final review of Mariah is that the music is unremarkable. I even hesitate to apply the term music to it. It almost doesn't qualify. Her voice is irritating, making me think of sand paper on skin. What's worse is that she sings with such self-importance. She's not that good.

On the positive side, the dress she is wearing on the cover is fabulous.

Technorati tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is proof-positive that you should never make a bet you don't think you'll have a good chance of winning...

...it's good to step outside of one's tastes, every one and awhile...

Genevieve

Super Happy Jen said...

My sister went through a Mariah Carey phase when we were kids. My sympathies.

If you feel like you can't make it remember these "wise" words:
"Then a hero comes along,
with the strength to carry ooon,
and you cast your fears aside,
and you know you can SURviiive.
When you feel like hope is gone,
look inside you and be strong.
And you'll fin'ly see the truuuth,
that a hero lies in yooooouuuuu"