Monday, February 07, 2005

Star Trek

Finally, this is what you have all been waiting for; a post about Star Trek. It has been announced that Enterprise is wrapping up this spring after 4 seasons. Oddly, the word cancellation was not used. Clearly, the show has been cancelled, despite the spin put on it by the network.

I am a casual Star Trek fan. I have seen many of the episodes, but certainly not all. I am not a trekker or a trekkie; I do not speak Klingonese; I do not own Star Trek paraphernalia. In fact, I like to point out some of the flaws in the so-called science of Trek. My biggest question is why they have doctors. Once you have complete control over matter and energy (and they do via the transporter and later technology, like the holodeck), why do you need doctors? Such technology makes doctors irrelevant. Oh, and don't get me started on time travel (just remember what Stephen Hawking said on that subject: “Time travel is not theoretically possible, for if it was they’d already be here telling us about it!”). Anyway, back to Enterprise.

When the concept of Enterprise was announced, I was skeptical. I felt that the idea of a prequel was a bad one. But, as it happens, I think that the show is far better than I ever would have imagined, except for the fact that it is badly cast. I mean, other than Jolene Blalock (as T'Pol) and John Billingsley - who has turned the character of Dr. Phlox into the best doctor in the Star Trek franchise - there is not much depth. I mean, Lt. Mayweather? He is the lamest character ever. Malcolm? He's a whiner. They make Wesley Crusher look good.

My other problem with this series is that it did little of what a prequel ought to do. In fact, it has largely ignored much of the material that originally appeared on the so-called original series. It has made no effort to prequelize anything, so far at least. But, it is a far better series than Voyager. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my last word on Star Trek.

Technorati tags: ,

2 comments:

Super Happy Jen said...

Enterprise batlh Daqawlu'taH

zydeco fish said...

Thank God for Google. I think you said "Enterprise, you will be remembered with honor." Does that mean you speak Klingonese?