Thursday, August 25, 2005



Leonard Cohen is Broke and I am Bummed About it

You didn't hear it here first. Some of you know that Leonard Cohen is a personal hero of mine. He is probably the reason I wrote my first poem (which shall never see the light of day). He is also one of the reasons behind my interest in the guitar. I have a collection of Lenny paraphernalia (books in foreign languages, bootlegs, counterfeit CDs, promotional materials, and even an autograph).

My first Cohen album was an almost completely destroyed copy of Songs of Leonard Cohen. It was in such bad shape that, at certain points, the damage to the vinyl overwhelmed the music. The cover, littered with scribbling, was taped together. It had been in the collection of a radio station at one point.

My father gave me the most perplexing look when he came into my room and heard the singing of a man in pain or longing. Perhaps it was the line "and your thighs are a ruin." Or, maybe it was "Some girls wander by mistake into the mess that scalpels make." I am not sure, but he disapproved. That much is certain. Of course, he once said to me, "Who doesn't like Celine Dion?"

And now, Leonard is in the midst of a crazy lawsuit and countersuit. A recent Macleans article gives a good summary of the hell that he is going through. The short story is that his business manager allegedly embezzled millions from him, leaving him with a paltry amount and forcing him to mortgage is house in LA to pay his legal fees. Trouble is, even if he wins the suit, he has probably lost the money.

Which is why he is recording a new album and organizing a tour. He was planning to retire, but he has been forced to keep working. I am happy that he has deferred his retirement, but the circumstances stink. I hope to catch the tour. I have been lucky enough to see him twice: once it TO with K, and once in the audience of the Ralph Benmergui Show. I saw the sound check too.

Technorati Tags: , ,

13 comments:

Super Happy Jen said...

Poor Lenny. I always expect these stars to be million-billion-guzillionaires. If Leonard Cohen is having financial difficulty, can there hope for the rest of us?

Super Happy Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

wow, what a mess...i had to link to information about the Ralph Benmergui Show, just to see what was written. My favourite phrase is:

"The audience decline has been attributed...to Benmergui's hosting style" - talk about an understatement.

dabydeen said...

That bites. I actually a fan of his too, and I do cringe every time the Air Farce makes fun of him. I believe he just received the Order of Canada as well (or something similar).

BTW ... flocci ... see wiki -- although it will be a waste of your time. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love Leonard Cohen. I listen to him everyday. I don't know what to say. I have seen him in concert four times and would go again. This is so strange.

Kimberley said...

"Closing Time" was the first song I ever heard by him and I was perplexed that those words could be put to tune, and such a unique one at that.
Leonard Cohen makes me wish I was Mrs. Robinson.

Jody said...

Leonard Cohen should NOT be broke.

It would be great if the art community would rally around him and do some sort of fundraising thingy.

Eric said...

I love Leonard Cohen too. It's a shame. Perhaps he and Billy Joel can go on a "strictly for money" tour. Oh wait, Joel and Elton John already did that.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Man, that really stinks. I hadn't heard, so I'm really grateful for your post.

You're write up was fabulously done and makes me want to do something. GRrrrrrr.

me-Liz

greatwhitebear said...

I too am a fan of Cohen's. Nver understood why he wasn't more appreciated here in the states. It's a shame!

The Zombieslayer said...

The only thing I know about Cohen are the two songs he did for Natural Born Killers. Those songs were cool. I know he writes poetry too.

The Lunatic said...

I hope he gets through this mess fast. There's nothing worse than wanting to retire and being forced to be held back just for troubles created by other people. I owe him a lot, maybe the way I am, the way I walk, eat, talk, sing, sleep, copulate, dream, there's definitely Cohen's works behind it. I wish him a fast recovery.

hemlock said...

WOW. I had no idea he was going through this!!

Although I can't always get what he's saying (ie. sometimes I'm not with it enough to understand the way he puts his words together), I very much respect what he has given the artistic community.

I know it's not quite the same, but I love "I'm your Fan" and some of his other music continues to grow on me.

I hope he comes out of this OK.