Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Back to School, sort of

One of the perks of working at a University is free tuition! Yeah. I have made good use of it in the past, having taken photography courses and several writing courses. These include workshops in poetry, the short story, and autobiographical writing. Last night, I was back in the class again, taking a workshop in review writing. The instructor is a semi-famous Toronto reviewer. I have already published 5 or 6 book reviews, largely on academic works. So, this ought to be different. We are to write reviews on books, music, film, and food, the latter of which I have zero interest in.

Thank god we are not writing wine reviews. I really like wine but I have to confess that I can rarely make heads or tails out of wine reviews. How useful is it to know that there are hints of tobacco with an apricot and leather finish? It may as well be asphalt with a suggestion of bum and cigarette butts. Just tell me if it is good or not.

I may post a review or two here, if they are any good.

Technorati Tags: ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"if they are any good"...let us be the judge of your writing skills, fish...

Maven said...

OOh bum and cigarette butts... I guess that's a step up from the wine tasting like hairy ass:)

mister anchovy said...

OK, out with it, fish...which semi-famous reviewer?

zydeco fish said...

Mister Anchovy: I'll give you the initials - GP.