Thursday, September 15, 2005

Portrait of my Other Brother as a Middle Aged Man

At last, a sort of sequel to Portrait of my Other Brother as a Young Man.

The second time someone aimed a gun at my brother, he was lucky. His girlfriend had terrible aim and took out a window instead. That incident always reminds me of the rumours about my grade 8 science teacher who, either in a drunken stupor or a fit of impotent rage, shot his piano with an elephant gun. A few years earlier, my brother had been shot in the leg by an American hunter he was guiding through a northern Ontario forest in search of game.

So, a gunshot wound was added to a list of injuries that included a broken syringe in the palm of his hand, a spine in ruins from years and years of heavy lifting for a rail company, and dozens of bruises from hockey and bar fights. By age 40, his body was scarred and tattooed, weakened from drug use, heavy drinking, and smoking. And yet, at age 40, he became a father for the second time.

Of all the things in my brother's colourful past, it was fatherhood at age 40 that most irritated my father, a man who had four children by the time he was 33. He just could not understand the idea of 'late' fatherhood. "Imagine having a kid at 40! He'll be 60 when the kid is 20. What was he thinking about?" I wondered if it made my brother think about the child he had as a teenager, but never really saw.

For my brother, fatherhood couldn't have come at a better time. He left his criminal past behind, but retained a strong interest in booze and cigarettes. And, although he continues to drive without a license, he has tried to pull his life together. No more jail, writing bad cheques, smashing cars into gas pumps, dropping acid or shooting up. Instead, against the odds, he has custody of his child, even though he looks like a most ill-suited father.

Technorati Tags: ,

9 comments:

running42k said...

Yep, children can do some amazing things can't they.

tshsmom said...

My husband would probably be dead by now if it wasn't for fatherhood!

Anonymous said...

That's such a depressing post to read so early in the morning. Do you think you've turned out OK? Still waiting for the "Portrait of Myself" post...

zydeco fish said...

Do you think you've turned out OK?

That's debatable, but I am not going to take a poll.

Still waiting for the "Portrait of Myself" post...

That's not likely to happen...

Jay said...

All things considered, that's a pretty decent reason to pull your life together...but what happened to the first kid?

dabydeen said...

All the qualifications you need for fatherhood is love. Corny, but true. And I realize that eliminates a lot of fathers out there.

zydeco fish said...

Jay: nobody knows. The mother ran away with him.

Liz said...

How do you define middle aged?

zydeco fish said...

Well, I thnk it's exactly half of the life expectancy rates. That is age 75 for men and age 81 for women in Ontario. That means ages 37.5 for men and 40.5 for woman is the middle of middle age. I guess you enter middle age a few years before, and exit (much closer to death) a few years later in your seniorish years. Are you middle aged yet?