Friday, October 28, 2005

The Day I Ran (Cycled) from the Cops

It was a warm fall day and I was cycling peacefully through the University of Toronto campus on my way to my old job (about 7 years ago). I was heading down Huron Street, I think. I slowed at the stop sign, checked for traffic, and made a safe left turn right in front of a police officer standing on the corner. OK, so I didn't stop (it was a rolling stop) and I didn't signal, because there was no traffic. I always signal if there are cars or people.

The cop yelled at me, demanding that I stop. I realized that he had been giving out tickets to people like me, rather than giving tickets to all of those drivers who do rolling stops. It was one of those fight or flight scenarios, so I kept on going. There was no way I was going to get a ticket for that. I always stop at red lights; I make rolling stops at stop signs (and stop when there are peds or cars, only to find that other cyclists fly by me, ignoring all road rules); and, I signal when there is a need. In other words, I am a safe cyclist, despite occasionally breaking the rules.

I see cops on bikes riding the wrong way one way streets, riding two abreast, failing to stop, failing to signal, and even riding on sidewalks. The double standard pisses me off. I am pissed off when cars get away with rolling stops all of the time. I am pissed off when I see cops ignoring other cyclists breaking the law. One day, I saw a cyclist on Bloor Street riding on the wrong side of the road at night without a light right in front of a police car. Nothing happened. A few minutes later, a cop car drove up even with and the cop told me he was checking to see if I had a headlight. I did. Give me a break.

I get cut off routinely by cars turning right. Some drivers stare me down and turn left right in front of me (this includes Wheel Trans vehicles, couriers, and even school buses, like this morning).

The next day, there was a police car stationed beside the guy throwing tickets around, I guess in case anyone else decided to make a run for it.

A few good cycling sites:

Advocacy for Respect for Cyclists
Martino's Bike Lane Diary
Get Out of the Bike Lane
Bike Toronto
Toronto Cycling committee
Toronto Bicycle Network
Community Bicycle Network
Critical Mass Toronto
TorontoCranks

Technorati Tags: , ,

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a badass! Why do I have this whole Road Warrior/Mad Max perception of you now?

HA! You've inspired another podcast dedication! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I think this post was inspired by Red Barchetta.

Anonymous said...

I just feel sorry for traffic cops. Their job sucks and they probably want to be out catching real criminals instead of being annoying. The cop who you so expertly made your get-away from probably has to get a promotion before he can even become a real traffic cop. Poor guy.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were such a rebel!

I don't like how people underestimate the speed that bikes can travel. A slight downhill and bikes can move wicked fast. I don't know how many times people in cars have pulled out on me and I've had to break pretty hard to avoid crashing into them.

Dorks.

Anonymous said...

I never really have too much problem with cops or cars on my route. Worse part is where some cars cut close on this one area around a bend in the road. Now I have to admit I never indicate turns or stops.

Anonymous said...

Just the title alone of this post had me cracking up, I got a visual and everything!

Anonymous said...

Seven years to tell the story? Waiting for the Statute of Limitation to expire in fear they may still be hunting you?

Anonymous said...

Exactly.

Anonymous said...

Ok fish, better just turn yourself in and take your lumps. I can't bear to hear about the rest of your crimes - take them to your grave.

Anonymous said...

I admit to being the one in the car almost running you down. I don't see that many street bicyclists here although the parks have them. I was never a bike rider as where I lived prior to college the bicyclists were rampant on any given day and would take up the whole road and it would really piss me off. :(

See I knew cyclists were criminals at heart.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the bike info

Anonymous said...

Passing through with BE, so thought I'd wave. :) Wish I could do a waving smiley.

I loved Alien and Aliens. The rest sucked big time.