Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Winter Olympics & Gender, etc.

Did you know that there are two winter Olympics events that women cannot compete in? They are ski jumping and Nordic combined (ski jumping and x-country skiing). What's up with that? This seems very unfair to me. And, here's another thing that's unfair. I think that there ought to be same sex couples in pairs and ice dancing. That would be fascinating.

There are signs that I have been spending too much time watching the Winter Olympics:

1) I think Jeffrey Buttle's parents made a big mistake when they named him: I kept hearing Jeff Rebuttal

2) I think that part of the scoring for figure skating should be based on the costume. If this were instituted, Stephane Lambiel would never have won the silver medal. He would have placed last for his costume offenses

3) Points should be awarded for truly spectacular falls in figure skating. If you slide head first in to the boards, break a limb, or draw blood, you should get some benefit in the technical components

4) Some summer events should be modified for the winter games. For example, I'd like to see the 100 metre dash run on ice, winter triathlon, and maybe soccer in the snow.

Technorati Tags: ,

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"1) I think Jeffrey Buttle's parents made a big mistake when they named him: I kept hearing Jeff Rebuttal"

I suppose now I will, too. ;)

Anonymous said...

Personally, I found the nordic combined a little strange, so maybe it's just as well only the men do it.

And I keep becoming mesmerized by Buttle's teeth. They're just so-- so -- toothy.

Anonymous said...

"He would have placed last for his costume offenses."

Was he the one that ripped open his shirt to reveal the little flame thing?
That was quite impressive.

Anonymous said...

I thought they used to have women's ski jumping?

Anonymous said...

Vanessa: It was the guy with the tiger-like pattern - orange and white on one side; black and white on the other - and the blue forearms.

tshsmom: maybe they did, but they don't now. I think they should. And, I think mixed pairs in bobsledding would be good too.

Anonymous said...

The ski jumpng t hing is beibg discussed in various feministe sites as there are some blatently sexist reasons at least in regard to the ski jumping. Like women ski jumpers care if their baby making parts get shook - up. lol

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Just the other day I was wondering when we were going to see the women's ski jumping. Then I thought, is that even an event??

Based on your title for this post, I was wondering if you were going to point out that women have won twice the medals (at this point) at these olympics, than men. That's something I've certainly noticed.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was never really bothered that I could never become an Olympic Ski-jumper. I saw some women on tv today. They were on skis and they were jumping. What was that?

At least women get to not suck at hockey.

BTW: What's the summer equivalent to the winter biathalon? Swim 100 metres then stab someone?

Anonymous said...

Jen: I believe that was Freestyle skiing.

Anonymous said...

LMAO! Jeff Rebuttal! Tha almost cost me a trip to the floor!

Anonymous said...

LMAO! Jeff Rebuttal! Tha almost cost me a trip to the floor!

Anonymous said...

I'm so into that ice shuffleboard thing the women do. That's what I want to be when I grow up! Oh, wait...

nevermind.