Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Answers, Part 3

Kyahgirl has a few questions. I will tackle two in this post:

Have you met any blogger buddies in real life?

Why, yes I have. I know a handful of bloggers in real life, but only two that are listed in my blogroll. I have known Running42k, proprietor of Musings of Middle Age, for many years. We were roommates in our first year of University and we were next door neighbours the year after in the same residence. Here is a picture of him from back-in-the-day.

As it happens, in the second year, I was the only person on our floor - aside from the House Advisor - not to get an "Incident Report." I believe Running42K's came when he threw some heavy object out of his window and nearly hit the Hall Advisor. Talk about bad aim. If I am not mistaken, that was the same night that I put R42k's phone in his freezer, but I am not really sure why. It just seemed to fit. I could go on and on about residence life, but that is probably enough for now. By the way, there was an incident or two that probably deserved an Incident Report, but I was smart enough to keep out of harm's way.

The other person I know is Katherine, from Wabisabi, which is in many ways a blog about knitting, but also more. She and I went through the Master of Library Science program at a large North American University. I have certain opinions about that program. She is also my ex-girlfriend (I hope she doesn't mind me saying that so publicly). She was the first urban cyclist I met, and I soon decided that cycling in Toronto was a good idea.

Have you been out West?

Yes. I went to Edmonton in February several years ago. I was flown out for a job interview. I was not entirely taken with Edmonton, but it was February and something like minus 55 degrees. The sky was very blue, however. I spent some time on Whyte Avenue, and that was cool.

I went to Vancouver about 6 years ago, where I presented a paper at a conference with a co-worker. I loved Vancouver, even though I mistakenly walked right through Junkieville. That was interesting.

If I keep answering questions, I'll never have to think of an original idea again for this blog.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

14 comments:

running42k said...

I was an innocent bystander in the couch going out the window. It was those two guys (Eric and I forget the other guys name).

zydeco fish said...

...and Stephen. Really? Innocent? If you say so. Sorry to slander you.

Kyahgirl said...

Oh thank you, thank you.
:-)
I Love to hear the dirt from University days too. Always so interesting. Nice to meet a couple of your old friends.

Edmonton sucks in February. I remember the first time I came here, also for a job interview. I had a hysterical fear that I'd be frozen, instantly. Just like those flowers they dip in liquid nitrogen.

I lived in Vancouver for four months...on a work term. Beautiful ciy.

Kyahgirl said...

er, that would be 'city'.

hemlock said...

Other than having my laptop stolen in Edmonton, I like the city itself. Whyte Ave is fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to decide which is most troubling: being outed as an ex; being outed as a knitblogger; or being outed as a graduate of the large North American university?

Or possibly as an urban cyclist, since I now (hangs head in shame) drive a car...

zydeco fish said...

k- I'd have to say the Urban Cycling thing.

Anonymous said...

The irony is I own two bikes. I just never ride them anymore.

Mind you, the way folks drive around here, I'd be terrified of being knocked off the road.

Liz said...

What is this strange connection between librarians and knitting? So many librarians knit, and, really, is knitting all that common among the general population(s)?

tshsmom said...

Whyte Ave IS cool! Our daughter used to live 2 blocks off Whyte.

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that rather high correlation amongst librarians and knitters. I cannot explain it.

And knitting is the new black. Or the new yoga. Take your pick. It's hip. All the cool kids are doing it.

I may have to go lie down after all that.

Jay said...

My grandfather's favourite story about Vancouver is when he was propositioned by a "lady of the evening" (his words, not mine). To my horror, he relishes recounting this story to EVERYONE. He would have been better off in junkieville.

The ZenFo Pro said...

Lol...man, this is such an interesting way to answer Qs!

Gel said...

Very interesting post, ZF!