Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Answers, Part 4

Doris Night asks: "how much is that doggie in the window?"

That depends.

1) If you go to a Humane Society, you can get one free, or almost free. I think that there is some sort of administration fee. Let me check...yes, the Toronto Humane Society charges $25 for a cat, $50 for a dog, $20 for a bunny - I am not sure if that comes with a recipe - and $4 to $65 for mice, birds, gerbils, guinea pigs, and ferrets (in other words, food for your pet snake). So, come to Toronto with $50 and you can walk away with a vicious killer of your choice. OK, just kidding: I am sure that there are some very pleasant dogs at the Humane Society. They may be anti-social, but I am sure they just need love. I guess the Humane Society of New York would be closer, right?

2) Do you really want a dog that has been on display behind some glass? I have heard that these kinds of dogs may not be so healthy, and that some come from puppy mills. I say, forget about the pet shop dog.

3) I did a Google search for you and found out that you can get a puppy for as little as $50 - as you already know - and as much as $1500. How much money do you have to spend?

Arf! Arf!

Technorati Tags: , ,

6 comments:

hemlock said...

Ooooh, someone's got a funny side.

I found this post very informative, and now I know that if I want a new cat I should go to Toronto as the price is cheaper than other shelters. Good to know!

hemlock said...

PS - I'd love to steal this "ask me a question" idea, but I just KNOW that I'd get some inappropriate questions... it's inevitable.

Anna May Won't said...

"I am not sure if that comes with a recipe."

good god man, what are you talking about? bunny stew? a cat sandwich? dog burgers? well yes, they do eat dog in china, but i never tried it.

i probably wouldn't shell out more than a couple hundred for a dog, though if i ever got one it'd have to be one of those obnoxiously small pocket-sized ones since my apartment is so small.

thanks for all the research. :)

zydeco fish said...

Doris - oh, just rabbits. Who would eat a dog or a cat?

Kyahgirl said...

very sensitive and sincere answer to the question ZF.

And may I suggest, don't ever buy a dog from a pet shop? The humane society or a breeder. No responsible dog owner would sell their puppies in a pet shop, having no idea where they were going.

Oh, and the dog eating thing? I watched a special with David Suzuki on the animal abuse habits of various countries. It was really appalling what goes on in many countries. Sickening in fact.

running42k said...

Very humourous buddy.

Toronto is cheap compared to London. For a puppy or a kitten you are paying $150 from the Humane Society. Discounts as they get older.

My dog came from the pound. Great dog.