Thursday, April 20, 2006

Weird Dream

So, I had this dream last night in which both my mother and father had been committed to the same psychiatric hospital. It was scarier than One flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It just seemed darker and grittier, like they were in some sort of Victorian poorhouse. My dad even wore a ratty old bath robe with yellow stripes.

I was not so surprised that my mother had ended up there, but my father in that situation makes no sense. He is far too grounded and aware to ever lose it in that way. Besides, I am not sure he could handle the embarrassment of being committed. In the dream, he kept prodding me and pinching me and I felt that at any moment, he would strike me, perhaps lethally. Again, I find this very odd because he is essentially a pacifist. When I was a child, the strap that hung in the closet was only ever used by my mother. She wielded that half inch thick leather strap with great craft.

Two days ago, I found out that my mother requires dialysis three times per week, but I am not sure that this information led to that dream.

Later, I had a dream about a visit to a strange farm that featured disconsolate chickens, an angry goat, and a dyspeptic pig. Now that was entertaining.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"we all go a little crazy sometimes..."

what interesting dreams...the animal farm one sounds cool...

Anonymous said...

dreams...I rarely have them. It sounds like a good thing after reading that as it sounded frightening.

Good luck to your mother.

Kyahgirl said...

Oh, that's too bad about your mother. My father was on dialysis three days a week at one time. It can be pretty hard. Depends a lot on how strong her heart is and the rest of her health.

The farm dream is interesting. I know I'm a mother hen and all but how exactly do you tell if chickens are disconsolate?
Do they just kind of mope around, no pecking, no clucking? :-)

zydeco fish said...

Kyahgirl: good question. I think it was the feeling I had in my dream. I guess I understood chicken emotions perfectly well in my dream.

Kyahgirl said...

yeah, dreams are like that.

The ZenFo Pro said...

You know, I've been having the most bizarre dreams lately as well. I spent my lunch Friday consulting various dream dictionaries trying to figure out if it was something I ate or my IDd kicking my ass.

Maven said...

I still don't know what my view on dreams is. Whether they are merely random hallucinations in our sleep or if they actually foreshadow anything in our lives.

Yet, oddly enough, when I dream of relatives long passed, it comforts me.

Gel said...

I remember that novel. Serious news about your mother. I hope she is stabalizing from the dialysis machine.
Enjoyed your dream revelations. I dream in colour and sound. Do you?

Super Happy Jen said...

Interesting that both of our blog posts should be about dreams. Perhaps it's something to do with the rainy weather. Makes the mind all humid.

Oh, I should probably send good health wishes to your mom.

Hagis said...

Hey there,
Just letting everyone on my Links know that my address is changed to http://arlunydd.blogspot.com/

I'l be back

TK said...

i dreamed of a naked croation woman last night, dancing. hi zf.

Smurf said...

Dreams sometimes are very odd and sometimes weird us out a bit. It sounds to me like your subconscious is very aware of what is going on with your mom and you are scared. I think it is a good idea to consult the dream dictionaries, but more than anything I think it just has to do with everything changing since mom now has to rely on dialysis to clean her blood. Who knows how this will effect dad. Is he really protective of mom? For me at least, even though I know we will all be born and die there is a small part in me that feels that our parents in part are invincible and they should be there longer than us, even though they probably wont. I am sorry about your mom.

Kimberley said...

Doesn't everyone dream in colour?