Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February 26, 1991

On this day in 1991, Tim Berners-Lee introduced the first graphical web browser, called WorldWideWeb. This is all great and, Lord knows, I appreciate the web immensely. My problem has always been with the letter W. How many times have we had to say double-u double-u double-u? This is one of the few times when I can see the wisdom of George W, when he says dubya, I mean, he has eliminated a whole syllable. Suddenly, my nine syllable utterance could be reduced to six, but I still can't bring myself to say it. A colleague simply says "world wide web" instead of the Ws. Damn the person who came up with this addressing nomenclature. This is a 3D map of the web, from http://www.opte.org/.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I don't say them at all. I'm taht lazy. And for most sites, it doesn't make a difference.

One notable exception (for me) is my employer's website. And I especially liked the little news item that they got a tech-savvy award. Whaaaa? Overall, it seems like teachers are so slow to embrace new technology. Beyond the obvious factor of expense. But that's a whole 'nother topic as Dubya says.

Anonymous said...

In French, you can shorten it to "triple-w"

But since "w" has three syllables, it's still kinda long.

This image is pretty.

tweetey30 said...

Very pretty pix you have there of the web... I have no idea who came up with it but it is a pain in the butt really. I agree with you with liking the Web. It comes in handy when you are looking for a motel room or something interesting.

Liz said...

pretty picture!

I admit I love the Web, but it's as much a waste of time as it is a useful tool.