Thursday, February 28, 2008

George W. Bush vs. Dan Quayle

It's really amazing how my mind wanders when I am cycling. Some of my best ideas occur while cruising the streets. Here's an example from yesterday.

Somewhere on Bloor Street, I concluded that George W. Bush could take Dan Quayle in a wrestling match, but only if it were Greco-Roman style. In the WWE format, I predicted Dan would prevail, probably because he would bring out a chair and break it over Dubya's head. And, that made me wonder about other combative events:

Boxing - I'd put my money on Dubya. Single-mindedness is key, and Georgie has that in spades.

Pistols at Dawn - Bush, probably because Dan would run away and most likely trip and fall in the dirt.

Fencing - Quayle, because I think he has a touch of flamboyance that would suit this sport well and I think he is probably very light on his toes.

Kick Boxing - I'd predict a draw.

Judo (or other martial art) - Bush. In fact, I'd wager that George could split timber (and possibly concrete blocks) with his forehead.

Oration Contests - Like kick boxing, I predict a tie. I mean, who could decide between:
"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."
- The Quaylster
and
"Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."
- Dubya

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am rendered speechless, on so many levels, for so many reasons.

(Oh, the fact that I'm doubled over with laughter is probably a large factor.)

I just saw Bush on CBC Newsworld, and had a moment of confusion when I realized he was saying some not so stupid things about why the US shouldn't be so quick to unilaterally pull out of NAFTA.

Not that I like NAFTA, but I could see his point, from an American standpoint.

Then he stared rambling off in all directions again, but for that brief moment, I wondered if I'd been sucked into some alternate universe.

tweetey30 said...

The last thing I listend to Bush was his big speech and now cant remember the name of it.. LOL.. I am really not political at all.

zydeco fish said...

k - speechless, huh? That's good. I have my doubts about NAFTA too.

T - You mean the State of the Union address?

running42k said...

You should write a book and call it the cycling philosopher.

That is an incredible thought process on the bike. I think this is why I listen to the CBC or music when I cycle, to stop my mind from wandering like that.

zydeco fish said...

You wear headphones on the bike? Is that not dangerous and illegal?

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot about Quayle, but then again I was young.

Pretty funny for a cycling librarian.

Kate said...

I'm agreeing about cycling (or running in my case) with headphones. But then, I am a space cadet enough.

I laughed so hard at this post!

Which of the Canterbury Tales pilgrims would Dubya be? Hint: he tears doors off their hinges by running into them with his head.

Anonymous said...

Those quotes made me laugh out loud. I read this, "When in Rome, do as the Romanians do" - George W. Bush. I'm not sure if that really is a quote, but that man, if you can look past his utter creepiness as a "world leader" is highly entertaining.

Maia said...

Very nice. I find I do my best thinking as I'm falling asleep. I think it's the relaxation thing.

The trouble is, I can't remember anything when I wake up... :(