Monday, March 03, 2008

A Jerry Seinfeld Moment and Double-Dipping

On my way to a meeting last Thursday, I dropped my pen on the floor of the men's washroom. For a brief moment (perhaps a nanosecond) I considered picking it up, but I was suddenly horrified by what kind of bacteria might have attached itself to it in that short period of time. A recent study on the 5 second rule concluded that whatever bacteria is on the floor is immediately transferred to the object that has impacted the floor, but the authors note that there is far less bacteria on the floor than we expect, except in men's washrooms, to which I have already alluded.

So, I did what Jerry Seinfeld would do and left it where it landed. No, I don't consider that littering. I never litter. I knew that later, some custodial staff person (one day, robots will have this job) will come in to clean and refresh the supplies and this person will sweep up the pen and either throw it away or put it in his/her pocket. Either way is fine with me.

By the way, I dropped the pen at 9:55 AM, and it was still there at 5:00 PM, but it was gone the next morning.

In related news, a study* has concluded that Double-Dipping does indeed spread cooties. The study found that "for every time a bitten cracker went back into the bowl, hundreds, and probably even thousands of bacteria cells went with it." In other words, the dip becomes a bacterial soup. It makes me cringe. I am not, nor have I ever been, a double-dipper because, as Timmy said to George, "that's like putting your whole mouth right in the dip."

*To be published in the Journal of Food Safety, 2008.

4 comments:

tweetey30 said...

I knew there was a reason I never dunk my chips more than once in my bowl when we have chili cheese dip..

Kate said...

Ugh. That just makes me cringe.

I double dip when it's just my husband and I since we already share cooties. But if anyone else is involved, it's one dip, period. No one else needs my germs.

I do drink (sip) out of the communal wine cup at church. They sort of wipe at it with a cloth, but I know that's not doing any good. ((shudder))

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of the five second rule... well. I was. Thanks.

Maia said...

I will continue to double dip. Too bad for you and people like you. ;)

People are FAR too germophobic. Is that even a word?