Monday, July 07, 2008

In Support of Dr. Henry Morgentaler

I wholeheartedly approve of the decision to award the Order of Canada to Dr. Henry Morgentaler. Some people have spoken out in opposition to this award, among them the Catholic Church and the reactionary Canada Family Action Coalition (CFAC).

Let's be clear on what the CFAC stands for. The CFAC is a homophobic, right wing club that is opposed to gay rights, same-sex marriage, and the rights of women. It has spoken out against Gardasil. It supports Bill C-10! CFAC is a collection of reactionary bible freaks trying to promote its religious agendas by hiding them in popular political issues, especially financial ones, such as taxation reform.

Here is an excerpt from Brian Rushfeldt spewing hatred against gays (you'll have to excuse the grammatical errors and ponderous writing in this segment. I've discovered that these people can't form a proper sentence half of the time):
"It is not respectful of diversity when I or others “like me”, whom oppose a certain sexual behavior are labeled, attacked. That sexual behavior I refer to happens to be very unnatural and in fact is known to spread a tremendous amount of diseases. But for me to oppose IT gains me and those “like me” reputations of bigot, homophobe, hateful, narrow minded, intolerant, fascist, Taliban and other nasty verbs and adjectives that I will not repeat. In fact my opposition to sodomy caused one person to send me, unsolicited, in an email (which the police are investigating), graphic images of two men sodomizing each other. The images reinforce the fact that it is an unnatural, unclean and unhealthy act upon another human being. This is not even an opinion , it is scientific fact in the 2000s. To those who disagree, I say get into the “progressive” learning curve and out of the stone age."
Thank you, Brian, for that meandering piece of garbage that simply promotes hatred. In another document, the CFCA refers to Svend Robinson as a "bisexual activist." Why can't he just be an activist? Go to the CFCA website, and you will discover lots of hatred, right wing propaganda, so-called Christian values, and grievous errors in syntax.

But, I am straying off topic, so let me get back to the point. Dr Morgentaler has been fighting for the rights of women for more than 40 years. He served time in prison defending the rights of women. He fought for the rights of women with great personal sacrifice. It's about time he was recognized for his achievements.

I am certain that the Governor-General will not give in to the religious fanatics. It's about time that Morgentaler was honored for his work. Let's keep the right wing hands off of his award.

6 comments:

running42k said...

How are any of those words that Rushfeldt uses verbs? Taliban isn't a verb, last I checked.

Anonymous said...

"sodomizing each other"?

I don't think that's physically possible, but of course, I live a very sheltered life....

tshsmom said...

"This is not even an opinion , it is scientific fact in the 2000s."

WHAT scientific fact?! Why don't these assclowns EVER back up their supposed facts with some actual DATA!

Anonymous said...

Woa, That was a pretty vicious webiste. I am fond of finding out more about what goes on in Canada. I thought it was so people friendly.

Kate said...

As you know, I am a practicing Catholic Christian and things like this make my skin crawl. I have issues with the Church, but in recent years, I think that the intent is to protect rather than attack others. Not that I agree with the decisions, although the Pope spanking W was fun.

These people are these freaks. I read something on that site about gays wanting to oppress religious people--what?? Way to take something about someone else and make it about you. And don't get me started on the lack of mention of other "pro-life" issues--war, capital punishment, etc. Ugh.

Deodand said...

Fortunately for us, people like that are not taken very seriously in Canadian society - at least, not that I've seen.