Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Farting Redux

I know, I know, I said I would never write another post on farting, but I realize now that I was premature in killing this topic. I recalled today that I once envied my childhood friend, Gordie, because he could fart-on-demand. Conversations with him went something like:

me: "Gordie, fart."
Gordie farts

...later:
me: "Fart Gordie fart."
Gordie farts

...later:
me: "Fart again Gordie."
Gordie farts

I thought it was all fun and games until he came for a sleepover. Anyway, there is some fabulous stuff out there, like:

- Gone with the Wind: More Thoughts on Medieval Farting. A Liberman - Scandinavian Studies, 1996 (pdf). It's interesting and very academic.

- Unabridged Dictionary of Fart Slang

- Urban Dictionary: fart, farting ...

And let's not forget the Flatulence Filter. This ought to win an award for best invention ever. In fact, I plan on giving one to my mother.

OK, so maybe this will be my last farting post.

By the way, I am still looking for answers to my question about librarians (2 posts down). Have a look.

Technorati Tags: ,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm...you appear to not be a man of his word, so to speak...i guess sometimes a promise just isn't a promise...

zydeco fish said...

Well, maybe some promises are made too hastily, and one discovers that one cannot stick to them, for whatever reason. I guess I've learned that farting posts are too important to me and I can't give them up after all.

mister anchovy said...

I knew a kid like that, who could fart the first dozen or so letters of the alphabet....that was a prestige skill at that time....he went on to eating crayons (he liked the purple ones best)....I wonder what he's doing today?

rubz said...

looooooooool

very funny dude

Super Happy Jen said...

I have a grandmother who's really into fart jokes. She's the type of lady who drinks her tea with her pinky up, and has "good silverware" yet all you need do is make a farty noise and she'll let loose and giggle like a school girl. I suppose it won't suprise you that my relatives would be like this.

No BS said...

Big farts are always funny. How about lighting them? Ahhhhhhh...

No BS said...

Inky's right. I remember the "explosion between the legs" in the dictionary from 5th grade!

Gel said...

THx for music download info on my blog.
Farting reminds me of my kids & so many inside family jokes going back to relatives that don't even live w/ us. I remember first learning the word flatulence. I wondered how a fart could be "flat?" (I was very young and still strange... ;)

Jay said...

My sisters and I would have been quite envious. We all tried to produce any gas on command - but only the youngest succeeded in burping on command thanks to the tutoring of my uncle over Christmas dinner.

Bybee said...

There's a fartin' football player in the first chapter of Semi-Tough. Author Dan Jenkins. That chapter's hysterical. The rest of the novel sucks.