Thursday, December 15, 2005

Troublesome Turd (a true story)

Imagine my mother (if you can), hair in curlers, wielding a plunger like some sort of impromptu shepherd's staff, rounding up her four children and herding them into the bathroom for a bizarre family meeting. There we stood around the toilet, five of us looking down into the bowl at the most enormous "dropping" I had ever seen. It was impressive. As someone who loved the Guinness Book of World Records, my immediate thought was to call up those guys and have them bring either a ruler or a scale to get the stats on that baby. I was sure we would be famous very soon. I was almost going to suggest that mother get her camera, but I realized that she was angry.

She was angry, not because the culprit didn't flush the toilet after doing his/her business, but because it was so big, it wouldn't go down the toilet. She proved her point by repeatedly flushing the toilet. It spun around and around and never went anywhere. She aimed the plunger at each of us, demanding to know who did it. Who dropped that huge turd that was far too big to flush? I wondered if she was going to hack at it with something as we watched, but she just kept demanding to know who did it.

My eldest brother, I suppose because he was the eldest and a boy, got the blame, despite his protestations. From that day, I viewed my brother as some sort of super pooper (wasn't that an ABBA song?) We were released from the smelly room and I gather my mother used the plunger to batter that turd into small enough pieces that it would go down. I was left thinking that she was a bit unfair to us. After all, who among us can regulate the size of our movements? I'd wager that few of us can, and ever fewer would admit to having the talent.

About five years ago, my sister made a confession to me. She said, somewhat gleefully and through bursts of laughter, that she was the one who did it. With one sentence, she turned everything upside down. She destroyed that image of my brother as a mythical pooper and she made me re-evaluate girls. It took me a while to process the information. I thought she should tell my mother, but then she has probably forgotten about the whole thing by now.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome.
Chicks rule.

Anonymous said...

I guess after passing that thing, childbirth is a breeze.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow pooping female myself I can assure you that your sisters "production" is not unique amongst female kind. We can poop as well as the boys!

Anonymous said...

That's good to know.

Anonymous said...

My husband has legendary stories of two different friends from high school. One had a dad who used to keep a butcher knife on the back of the toilet to hack big ones apart, and the other one used to call everybody to come look, and then use a coat hanger to break it up.
Apparently this is more common than we realize. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't you like leaving a stain in the bowl? Kind of like saying, "I was here?"

Anonymous said...

Not for the faint of heart... but years ago I was forwarded a link for those who revel in this sort of thing.

Rate My Poo.

I warned you not to click that link.

Anonymous said...

Chris, you warned me, but i did not listen...yikes...

zf, that story is crazy funny - i feel bad for the eldest...you should have a family meeting reunion where sis comes clean about the whole thing...

Anonymous said...

Ok, I clicked on it too. Yuck. But what surprised me was that some of the poos were rather unexceptional. Why would someone take a photo of a regular poo?

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice blog page. Definitely worth a bookmark.

If you want a really great laugh, read www.horacefinkle.blogspot.com. People these days don't get to laugh nearly enough - this is my remedy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chris. I am going to sumbit to that right away!

Anonymous said...

So gross; way too much information.

Interesting though: I'm 100% sure that all families with two or more children must have collective stories about siblings unfairly getting saddled with the blame for something that one of the other siblings did. Believe me - we NEVER forget either.

Anonymous said...

I was sure that I missed out on a lot by not having any siblings, I just wasn't sure what. Until just now. :)

Anonymous said...

too funny!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

GOOD TIMES!!!

Anonymous said...

Poo is becoming harder and harder to flush. I think because toilets are all enviromentally friendly and use less water. Give me a water-guzzling industrial-strength crapper any day.

Anonymous said...

I'm in tears from laughter. I tried to read your story to my father but I don't think he understood what I was saying through the giggles. But he much enjoyed me weilding an imaginary plunger and miming the flushing of the toilet.

This is the kind of story we both needed to read right now, Thank you for the laughs.

Anonymous said...

I'm in tears from laughter. I tried reading your story to my father but it was all broken up from me in hysterics, but he was highly amused by me acting out flushing the toilet and flailing a plunger.

Thanks for sharing your story, it gave us a much needed laugh

Anonymous said...

I haven't resorted to a butcher knife, but I've used a popsicle stick. NEVER use the plunger for this task, it gets too messy!
You're right, getting angry over this is ridiculous. However, having your 15 yr old daughter flush her toothbrush because she didn't want to touch toilet water is JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE!

Anonymous said...

no comment

Anonymous said...

How utterly awful as a child to endure that! On a different note, I sure have a story to tell my teens now, the next time they think I'm a bit "off" since this is not the way I'm different. On 2nd thought, I've been teaching the 16 yo how to plunge. I better not tell her this story.

Anonymous said...

Nice to know there's a place I can come and feel comfortable talking about my poo...

Anonymous said...

Surfed in via B.E....

Very funny shit!

Anonymous said...

U had me laughing out loud. But no way am I sharing any poop stories.

Anonymous said...

My sister was always the culprit. She was perpetually consitpated so her's were monumental and worth of TGBWW as you thought your sis's were. Poo stories abound, wouldn't you say?

I clicked the ratemypoo link. I agree with Jen. Why would you take a pic of regular ole poo?