Thursday, March 29, 2007

59

Here's an interesting piece of trivia. This is post #59 this year. Did I ever fall off the blogging bandwagon last year! In 2006, I posted only 58 times, down from 220 posts the year before. Perhaps I needed a rest.

Dentist

After my recent cleaning, I had to return to be fitted for a crown. I'm feeling a bit like Thomas Levy in the Marathon Man at the moment, except that I am fairly sure that my dentist is not a former Nazi SS dentist from Auschwitz. Still, I had several needles to freeze the area, drilling to remove the old filling, more freezing because I could still feel the drill, more drilling, grinding, filling, more grinding to reduce the area so that it could accommodate the final crown by which point the freezing was mostly worn off, and since I hate the feeling of the freezing, I opted to finish the procedure without it, and so endured a great deal of pain.

Jail Guitar Doors

This is a great story. Billy Bragg has donated six guitars as part of a new program called Jail Guitar Doors, named after a Clash song. "Ex-prisoners who have actively participated in such sessions have a re-conviction rate of between 10% - 15%, compared to the national average of 61%." Who would have predicted that learning to play the guitar would have this outcome?

Sopranos

I am psyched for the return of the Sopranos on April 8th. Sadly, it's the end of what is probably the greatest show in the history of television.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

8 comments:

running42k said...

I must disagree with you. Six Feet Under was the greatest show.

zydeco fish said...

Well, I did say "probably the greatest show in the history of television."

Maven said...

I'm psyched that The Shield comes back on Tuesday, and then the Sopranos starts up soon after that. I've been jonesing for some good stuff.

zydeco fish said...

You mean The Shield is good? I've never seen it.

Anonymous said...

Your description of the dentist just reminded me that I get to go visit the dentist upon my return from Europe.

Thanks.

As for the Sopranos... does nothin' for me. Too much F-bomb. Too much NY.

Jay said...

I certainly would not have predicted the lesser recidivism rate...and I also wonder, why? Why the heck do guitars of all things make a difference?

zydeco fish said...

hemlock: you mean New Jersey :-)

zydeco fish said...

jay: That's a very good question. I have no idea, but I find it fascinating.