Friday, March 16, 2007

Coke and Pork and Worms

I need your help. Have you seen one of the several videos floating around the web that show people pouring Coca-Cola onto raw pork? After a few minutes, the worms crawl out of the meat. Now, my first thought was: Who the hell would drink Coke if it is noxious enough to force innocent worms from the comfort of a slab of pork? Well, I'll allow that Coke mixed with rum is OK.

The now infamous video seems to have been removed from YouTube, but any web search will find videos that support or refute the allegations along with a few humorous attempts to show all manner of biological entities emerging from pork, like plastic rabbits. Some argue that Coke simply makes a nice marinade. Others argue that pork is infested with worms (trichinae) and will cause trichinosis. I have heard that there has not been a case of this in Canada for years. Who knows what is happening in the USA.

I'd try this myself, but I don't drink Coke and I do not want to support the corporation, despite occasionally purchasing Dasani, primarily because it is usually stocked here. Did you know that Dasani isn't even spring water? It's tap water that has been remineralized. Have a look at the ingredients. Yeah, that's right, it's water with ingredients.

So, if you are willing, go out any purchase some raw pork, throw it into a dish, and pour some Coke on it. Let me know how it turns out. I'll trust you.

Technorati Tags: , ,

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd been contemplating a return to vegetarianism, and I think I'm now a few steps closer to taking the leap.

Blech.

tweetey30 said...

I am glad I didnt read this last night when we had pork chops for supper. Yikes. *Shudder*.

mister anchovy said...

this has all the earmarks of a modern urban myth... I say, enjoy the worms...no harm in mixing your proteins.

Anonymous said...

I don't eat meat and prefer not to look at it. Especially pork.


Ewww

Anonymous said...

You're kidding right? It is totally fake. www.snopes.com

zydeco fish said...

I've read the thing on Snopes, but who can you trust these days? :-)

Government Funded Blogger said...

There was a case of trichinosis in this district last year. A fatal one caused by eating not fully cooked bear meat.

Kate said...

True or not, that is truly disgusting.

As for Dasani, I kind of like the idea that it's not spring water. I kind of worry about the environmental impact of taking water out of the watershed and putting it on my supermarket shelf. Plus, its taste isn't too off-putting

running42k said...

Guess what I am going to search for.

Maven said...

I figured I'd share this from SNOPES.

zydeco fish said...

maven: thanks. I guess I should just try this myself.