Monday, March 26, 2007

Facebook & Enemies

Well, I finally set up a profile on Facebook, using my real name, not my fishy alias. Aside from the fact that there is no one there from my graduating year in high school, I have only one concern, and you might call it an enhancement request.

When someone adds you as a friend, you can either reject or confirm this action. So, if they are not your friend, you reject. If you hate them, you reject. If they have friended you just because you have listed Captain Beefheart in your musical preferences, you can go either way. But, I think it would make far more sense to be able to add a list of enemies. This would be useful for certain colleagues (the close-talking type). I refer to him as a Facebook whore, because he seems to inhabit that space to the detriment of all else. He found my profile mere minutes after I had set it up.

Then there are those high school losers, who wouldn't really qualify as friends, simply because you knew them (so far, no one like that has crossed paths with me). Maybe it would be more appropriate if they were enemies.

And, finally, we have trolls like Bozo the Brit. He must have very low self-esteem, if his idea of amusement is to leave mean comments on my blog about other people.

By the way, I considered adding a profile to Assbook, but I am far too shy for that.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

18 comments:

Super Happy Jen said...

I too have recently signed on to facebook. Most of my "friends" are people who went to my elementary school and high school. That's what these sites are for. If they were actual friends, I could just call them.

BTW: in a month noone will be on facebook and there'll be a new hip friends site.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the confirmation of friendship with someone you could really care less about. There should be a "I acknowledge that you exist, but would reather you were not my friend" button.

Would that suffice?

zydeco fish said...

hemlock: yes, that's the button I need. I suppose that's better than enemy. How do I make that happen?

Jay said...

My friend has been after me to join up for a long time, but the thing is, any one that I want to stay in touch with, I am in touch with.

hannah said...

keep your friends close, your enemies closer kind of thing?

Critical Darling said...

Yeah, I don't get it. I ran into this girl from high school a few years ago and she was making a ridiculous effort to find out what I was up to. I was probably a little colder than I needed to be, but I really didn't care about her! Not to mention the fact that she barely spoke to me when we did go to school together. Maybe the reason I had no friends in high school was because I didn't care. Meh. Still don't.

zydeco fish said...

hannah: yes, that's a good interpretation.

Anonymous said...

One of the interesting comments I'd heard re: Facebook was that one ended up adding the same people to the friends list that one had added in all the previous social networking sites one had been signed up to.

So what was the point of doing it all over again?

I thought it was kind of interesting...

Liz said...

I wonder if my high school alums are on facebook? Somehow I doubt it. I haven't gone to my high school reunions so far because I don't really care to talk to these people, so I guess I'm not going to look for them on facebook or classmates dot com.

I like the idea of acknowledging that some exists rather than friending them.

zydeco fish said...

k: I guess that is this your first friend site, then it makes sense. I have never used one.

liz: don't you have to pay for classmates.com?

Liz said...

zf,
I think you do have to pay for it. I'm not going on it even if it's free.

zydeco fish said...

Oddly, half of the librarians here are on Facebook, so I felt a collective pressure to conform or be cast out.

Anonymous said...

its bonzo not bozo

Anonymous said...

Z F, Oddly.

And the other half faggots

zydeco fish said...

Listen S gonzales, Fred in Bed, and whatever else you want to call yourself, I know who you are. Take your homophobia somewhere else. You a loser and very boring. I will post your details so everyone can see what a shithead you are.

zydeco fish said...

bonzo, not bozo? you don't say?

Unknown said...

Howdy,

I come in peace from BlogExplosion Surfing :-). Just wanted to drop-in
and say hi... how do you do :)

Cheers,


Franco

zydeco fish said...

franco: I'm fine - thanks for stopping by. BTW, your Blogger profile isn't visible, so people have no idea who you are or where you blog is! :-)