Friday, March 07, 2008

Pillows and more on Last Chance U

They looked fluffy, and I was worried, but they flattened out nicely under the weight of my head. Oh, thank you Quality Hotel, thank you. You saved me from a stiff neck. Yes, that has been my curse: pillows that make it feel like I am sleeping on a concrete block; pillows that force my chin into my chest or force my head back so far when stretched out on my stomach, it feels like I am being given slow whiplash; pillows that cause major neck destruction, and every hotel has them, or so I thought. Who can sleep on a pillow that thick? It makes no sense at all. Do you walk around with some brace forcing your head into your chest? Of course not, so why should your pillow be 10 inches thick?

I have actually resorted to folding up towels and putting them in pillow cases to form pseudo-pillows in my hotel travels around North America. On other occasions, I have dispensed with the pillow entirely, like in Edmonton, where the room had 8 pillows, all of them part of a sinister terrorist plot to ruin my cervical vertebrae. The CIA might consider recruiting hotel pillows as part of its torture program against extrajudicial Al-Quaeda captives. I think such pillows would be more effective than waterboarding.

But, thanks to the Quality Hotel, I was able to get a good night's sleep and enjoy my conference at the U of Zero, as a colleague calls the U of O.

Back to the topic of Last Chance U, it could be Lakehead. I recall this university being derided when I was in high school, and so I did a brief web search and found this comment about Lakehead:
i can´t go on with saying that you are the worst in canada because i don´t know all of canadian universities. but i can say you are one of the suckiest in ontario.

you are down there with nipissing/windsor/laurentian. i would personally go to the baby university (uoit) than your crappy school. (link)
Maybe there are several last chance Us. Happy Friday, people.

4 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Enjoy your weekend ZF. I am going to try.

Unknown said...

Last Chance U? Ha!
I went to Laurentian and Windsor and thought they were both pretty good. Also went to UWO. It was fine to. I think students complain too much.

I agree about the pillows; I'll have to remember your towel maneuver.

running42k said...

Pretty bad when you are getting slagged by a kid that can't capitalize.

Anonymous said...

Running42k pretty much took my comment! Ha!

But, since that's taken already, I'll just throw in the I like big puffy pillows and always wonder how people manage with the thin puny ones! I shudder to think about sleeping on towels. Ugh. :)