Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Overrated, part 4 of 10

(see: parts 1, 2, and 3)

I have some Canadian content (the only Canadian content) for you today in my list of overrated artists. A list of my least favourite artists would be too easy. Right, on to number 7...

7) Bryan Adams - I will admit that certain tracks on Cuts Like a Knife still sound OK to my ears. Reckless, on the other hand, has aged very badly. I would be happy if I never had to hear It's Only Love, that messy disaster of a duet with Tina Turner, ever again. I think Tina was OK back in the day, and I mean waaaay back in the day with Ike. I blame Mark Knopfler for her resurgence in the 80s with that damned Private Dancer song. I can't believe he wrote that for Dire Straits! Bizarre. Her comeback led to a whole series of bad duets with the likes of Adams, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, and David Bowie. I bet I could get Tina to record a duet with me.

After Reckless, Bryan went from bad to worse. There is the anemic (Everything I Do) I Do It for You with its ponderous chorus. If you think that is bad, check out All For Love:



Why in Hell would Sting get involved in such a piece of shit? I think he has more integrity than that. I could go on and on, but I think, once you have watched that clip, they will be no doubt in your mind. Bryan Adams sucks.

Just to prove to you that I am human and have nothing to hide, I will confess that I have two pieces of Bryan Adams vinyl: his first self-titled album and Reckless. I will sell those to the person with the best offer.

Oh, and I suppose I ought to say something about his photography. I think Bryan is quite a talented photographer.

See: part 5

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"i got my first real six-string...bought it at the five and dime...played it till my fingers bled...was the summer of '69"

i hope that stays in your head all day long :P

zydeco fish said...

Thanks. It probably will... :-(

Kate said...

Finally, I agree with you. He is not the very worst musician in the entire world, but he is not good. Not good at all.

(Everything I Do) I Do It for You was popular the very best summer of my entire life. When I hear it now, I don't feel nostalgic. I just want to put my fingers in my ears.

zydeco fish said...

Thank God, we finally agree ... Could be for the last time, though :-)

Unknown said...

I think this series of blog posts is further evidence that I have no taste in music. I like everyone that you've listed so far, especially Bryan Adams :-p Don't ask me why...I can't explain it, just makes me feel good.

I hope the disdain for my adortation of crappy mainstream music is tempered with my love of blues music like that of Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey and others.

zydeco fish said...

I think if it makes you feel good, you should keep on listening. I am sure lots of people think that I have no idea what I am talking about.

I like the Blues :-)

tweetey30 said...

Now ZF I have to say the only song I like of his really is Everything I do I do for you. Everything from there sounds like crap.

Liz said...

Yes! I totally agree with you that Bryan Adams sucks.

zydeco fish said...

Finally. Praise the Lord.

tshsmom said...

I beg to differ....
"Summer of '69" is Adams' lamest song. "Everything I Do" is my favorite Adams song, along with the entire "Waking Up the Neighbors" album.

I didn't know he was a gifted photographer, so I'm off to check that out. ;)

running42k said...

That song with Sting wasn't only a bad song, it was a bad song for a bad movie.

Apparently Princess Diana had a real love for this guy.

zydeco fish said...

I didn't see the movie, but I will take your word for it. Makes you wonder about Diana.