Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Overrated, part 5 of 10

(see: parts 1, 2, 3, and 4)

I hope you are not bored yet. I am reminding myself of those long countdowns I used to listen to on the radio, especially at year's end. We'd get the top 500 songs of the year or the top 500 songs of all time. Either way, the lists were completely wrong. I recall that Stairway to Heaven seemed always to top the list of best songs. I am a Led Zeppelin fan, and I have to say that it is not the best song ever; it's not even close to the best Zeppelin song. In fact, it wouldn't even make my top 25 list of best Zeppelin songs. But, on to number 6 ...

6) Van Halen - Eddie Van Halen is known for his musical technique of tapping, in which he uses both hands on the guitar neck. Tapping has been around for as long as we have had stringed instruments. Lots of other guitarists have used this technique as well. The thing about Eddie Van Halen is that his style is really all about speed, which is bound to impress certain people.

Perhaps the most irritating thing was Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo in Michael Jackson's Beat It. I didn't like the song, but I have to say that it is very appropriate to place a masturbatory, self-indulgent guitar solo in a song called Beat It. Wikipedia notes that Beat It "is regarded by many as one of Jackson's masterworks." That really isn't saying too much.

Here is the mercifully-short Eruption highlighting his style:



There is nothing musical to me here. It's just speed and self-indulgence. If you want an excellent example of instrumental rock music in under 2 and a half minutes, check this out:



By the way, even though I am not a fan, I was unhappy when David Lee Roth left the band because that led to the inevitable solo career. One summer, while planting trees in southern Ontario, I must have heard Just a Gigolo about ten thousand times in my uncle's old Dodge Dart that only had an AM radio. I can still recite the lyrics. Sadly, science has not figured out how to regrow dead brain cells.

See part 6

13 comments:

running42k said...

I'm just a gigolo everywhere I go...

tweetey30 said...

I like the Stair to Heaven song. I have that one here some where. Not sure where but its here.

Unknown said...

my former roommate loves 'just a gigolo'...but the Louis Prima version. Much better for swing dancing.

I'm not a huge Van Halen fan so I guess I agree with ya.

Stairway to Heaven is ok but I no longer have patience to listen to the whole thing.

Kate said...

My poor taste in pop music doesn't extend to "rock" bands. VH was popular when I was living at home and not allowed to listen to the Devil's Music. I didn't care enough to argue that one.

I can bet you'd say the same thing about ABBA. ;)

zydeco fish said...

The Devil's music is actually pop music, especially from Celine Dion and Whitney Houston, and, yes, ABBA :-)

Liz said...

That's not a Van Halen video--that's a Van Hagar video.

zydeco fish said...

Never heard "Van Hagar" before. You must be a fan.

tshsmom said...

This isn't an interminable countdown. I don't know about everybody else here, but I'm having a blast with this!

Once again, this old lady was there from the start with Led Zeppelin. I think my favorite Zeppelin song is "Whole Lotta Love", but "Stairway to Heaven" IS in MY top 10.

As for Van Halen....
You're right, they're totally overrated! If I EVER have to listen to "Hot For Teacher" again, I may pierce my eardrums. *shuddering*
I actually think that Sammy Hagar added some class to the act. David Lee Roth was an assclown.

zydeco fish said...

tshsmom: I'm glad to hear that. I had forgotten all about Hot for Teacher, but now it's flooding back :-(

Deodand said...

I'm agreeing with you so far, but especially about Van Halen. I come off sounding like the King of Austria saying "Too Many Notes", but the fact is that speed ain't music.

And Jen is right - Louis Prima did it first and best.

zydeco fish said...

I'm going to have to look up Louis Prima's version.

Bridget Jones said...

Would agree, but some juvenile songs just catch on in my (admittedly underfunctioning) brain, and JIG is one! Love that video....

zydeco fish said...

I guess I should check out the JIG video. I have never seen it, strangely.