Thursday, July 17, 2008

Overrated, part 6 of 10

(see: parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5)

I acquired a few CDs at a lawn sale recently. I am especially enjoying the two Decemberists CDs that I got for essentially no money. What else did I get from that sale? .... oh, a Van Morrison CD, the Concretes, a couple of FemBots discs, a Flaming Lips CD and DVD, for example. There was also some punkier stuff, like Ikara Colt, The Hives, and the Fatal Flying Guilloteens. So, you see I have nothing against harder stuff with electric guitars, well some of it at least, which brings us to number 5 on my top ten list of overrated acts.

5) Guns 'n Roses - When I first heard that Axl Rose was working on Chinese Democracy, I took it literally and thought this was an admirable post-pock thing to do. Why him, I wondered? It makes no sense. I was quickly disabused of my false notion. Chinese Democracy is, in fact, a long-promised new album. I fear the worst for the legions of G 'n R fans awaiting an album that has been in production for 10 years. It will have to be a huge letdown once it finally sees the light of day. The weight of expectation will certainly overwhelm whatever they manage to put out on CD.

I have never appreciated the high-pitched vocals of the heavy metal set. I am aware that the blame for this might lay with Led Zeppelin, a band I have always admired. It may be so. And yet, there are major differences, I think, between Robert Plant's vocals and those of the heavy metal acts that followed. Plant's vocals have a lot of blues in them, at least to my ears, while the vocals of G 'n R sound more like the screeching of someone who really cannot sing.

Apparently, Appetite for Destruction is the second biggest-selling debut album of all time, just behind the first Boston album (no, I am not a Boston fan either, but I like the city very much). Maybe I was listening to the wrong radio station, but it was several years before I finally heard a song from G 'n R. At the time, I was TV-less, and paid no attention to commercial music, like G 'n R, so I missed it all. In hindsight, I am happy to say that I didn't miss anything, except for an interesting wedding gown.

As always, I like to branch out to the web to gather other opinions of acts. The Urban Dictionary is an unlikely place to look for opinions on bands, but in this case, it informs. I provide a few choice excerpts:
1. guns n roses

A REAL rock band. Unfortunately some people listen to a single song and say they suck, but you're wrong.

Over 9.6 million Guns 'n' Roses fans CAN'T be wrong!
Of course, s/he meant to write "they're wrong" so that it agrees with "some people." What I'd like to say to this person is: "500 million Michael Jackson fans can't be wrong! (Thriller has sold over 108 million copies alone). So there!" Of course, I hate Michael Jackson's music.
2. guns n roses

The Best Band Of The 80's, they made me feel so good about myself, before Nirvana came along (gives Nirvana Deathstare). Nirvana made 80's metal look artificial, when really, it was F**KING AWESOME! Axl's a babe! They're all babes!
How can you say Nirvana and metal in the same sentence, dude? But, it does beg the question as to why certain women, and I think they are largely teenagers, fall for long-haired men who wear make-up and skin-tight leather or leopard-skin pants? And that brings us to definition number 9:
9. guns n roses

lame shitty 80's hair metal band
really big among teenyboppers
That's exactly what I am saying. And, on to definition number 11:
11. guns n roses

Worst band of the entire 80's!!!!
And that's saying something because the 80's sucked Satan's balls!!!!!!
Note the number of exclamation points! I wouldn't use such vulgar terms to describe the 80s, and I don't like the image of Satan being all dog-like, but you have to admire the passion in this person's definition. S/he seems to know music.

By the way, Knockin' on Heaven's Door was written by Bob Dylan, in case you G 'n R fans missed it.



See: part 7

13 comments:

running42k said...

Over 9.6 million Guns 'n' Roses fans CAN'T be wrong!

I heard the same logic for Nickleback. Problem is in a world of 6 billion people, that equates to less then 1% of the population, so yes, they can be wrong.

zydeco fish said...

Now that is a good example of why we need to be good at mathematics.

Kate said...

Wow. I had no idea we would actually agree more than one. I hate G&R so much I can't express it. They were popular when I was in high school and although Welcome to the Jungle reminds me of speeding around Dallas at night in someone's 70s convertible, I can't find anything positive to say.

I am all about men's legs (hubby runs marathons, hmmm), but put them in some kind of leather/spandex abomination and it turns me OFF.

That's a great video of Dylan--note the long hair and bandanna (or is that an actual flag).

Kate said...

agree more than onCe

Liz said...

Ok, I agree on this one, too. They are way over-rated. I like a couple songs of theirs, but never thought they were all that good.

zydeco fish said...

Good. So far, no rabid G 'n R fans ...

tshsmom said...

Yeah, I thought you'd take some serious flack on this one.

GnR is the most popular one hit wonder of the 80s. WHY does anyone care if they put out a new album at this stage? Axl Rose is nothing but a Steven Tyler wannabe.

I'm not a Dylan fan, but their rendition of "Knockin' on Heavens Door" always makes me cringe.

Axl ranks right up there with David Lee Roth in my book. Too much ego without the talent!

mister anchovy said...

still on track. In fact 9.6 million Guns 'n Roses fans can and are wrong. Does Nickleback even exist, or are they a made-up fake band that's somebody's idea of a joke?

zydeco fish said...

Well, I think Nickleback is a joke, but not a very funny one.

Tshsmom: I encourage you to be a Dylan fan. It took me a while, but now I think he is one of the best we have.

zydeco fish said...

I am not sure I could handle more popularity. The drugs, the alcohol, the salacious rumours...

Liz said...

Wow--'enlarge your blog' spam!

tshsmom said...

OK you guys, don't start picking at my Nickelback! I LOVE Chad Kroeger's voice!

I'll NEVER be a Dylan fan! My husband has that corner of the music world covered. SME and I amuse ourselves by ridiculing the slushy way Dylan delivers his lyrics. Don't ever get us started on "Martha's Farm". ;)

Bridget Jones said...

I'm with you, ZF! NEVER liked G&R!!

Too bad about the math, tho. Am the offspring of two math majors/teachers, and I sucketh mightily at numbers....