Thursday, September 08, 2005

My Father & the Double Entendre

At the risk of making my family appear even weirder, I offer a few comments about my dad. In case you missed it, you can review some prior family posts, like Portrait of my Brother as a Young Man, Portrait of my Other Brother as a Young Man, 100 Words About my Mother, Fatherly Advice, or Lessons from my Sister.

Whenever my father put something in the oven, he said "whip it in, whip it out, wipe it off, and worry." As a young boy, I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Then, at around age ten, I figured it out. It was a eureka moment, much like the time my mother said, while chewing on a steak bone, "the closer the bone the sweeter the meat." My sister blushed and my brother cleared his throat, but my dad gave a hearty laugh. No one expected me to get it, but I did.

Somehow, my father managed to be the captain of the double entendre. He could turn the most innocuous statement into something sexual. At times, it was like having a 14 year old boy as a father. It didn't matter what the subject was: wallpaper, middle east politics, brain surgery, long division. Of course, there were numerous topics that lent themselves well to that manipulation, like anything to do with oiling or greasing or anything long and hard or anything with an opening.

The most irritating thing is that I am sure he felt that I missed all of the references, and so he kept it up (see, there's one right there). Laughing didn't dissuade him either, because I got the feeling that he really didn't believe that I understood the joke.

He's turning 73 this year, and I heard him say that he wasn't ready to hang up his saddle just yet. I didn't even know he had a horse.

Technorati Tags: ,

7 comments:

hemlock said...

Those are some sweet comments! My dad's just the king of the corny comments...and at times inappropriate emails. I still love him to death though.

Anonymous said...

well...it appears that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree after all...like father, like son

Anonymous said...

Love father stories! I believed all my dad's stories that he told me, though I knew hew would say anything for a good story

My mom couldn't believe how naive I was

Meliors Simms said...

I think maybe it's a generational thing. My sweetheart is turning 66 next week (yeah, I know that's older -just- than my father) and he is constantly making sexual innuendos which were no doubt fresh and funny in the fifties, but man! He's very sweet with it though and now my feminist bristles have flattened down through relentless exposure I've even started joining in- at least participating in the joke that the word 'bottom' (snigger) is intrinsically funny no matter what the context.

Cooper said...

Sweet stuff.
I'll have to check ou the full family tree sometime when I am not buried under a mound of school work.

Anonymous said...

so....what are you going to get your dad for his birthday this year?
Pair of chaps??

zydeco fish said...

Maybe.