Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

I've tried compiling a list of adjectives to describe this film. Here are a few: juvenile, stupid, moronic, disappointing, ridiculous, dumb, boring, idiotic. Should I go on?

I can laugh at humour that is not politically-correct. I can laugh at dumb stunts, like Jackass. I can laugh at weak non-intellectual comedy. But, Borat simply stinks.

The fact is that most of the humour is cruel. I was amazed to learn that most of the scenes were not staged, making this seem extra cruel.

I really wish that Sacha Baron Cohen would have used a fictional country, rather than Kazakhstan. I am sure that had he done so, few people would have even noticed that the country was fictitious, and he wouldn't have slandered an entire nation.

So, there is plenty of low ball bathroom humour, but this is not brilliant film making. It is appallingly stupid.

I am off to the dentist to have my new crown installed. Later.

Comment moderation remains on: to see why, read these posts: one, two, three, four.

Technorati Tags: ,

9 comments:

Kimberley said...

I highly urge you to check the comments on my latest post.

zydeco fish said...

I did. Very interesting.

SeizeTheNite said...

I couldn't agree with you more about Borat. I found myself cringing a few times feeling sorry for some of those people.
As I actually liked the Ali G show, I was pretty disappointed.

And sorry to hear about your internet stalker/racist/creep.
Something about the old internets really brings those people out.

Although watch calling him the biggest asshole on the web, he might consider that a compliment judging from his character...

tshsmom said...

Thank you!!
So many bloggers have given this movie rave reviews that I thought I was an oddball. I'm with you 100%!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you said that. There is nothing at all brilliant about this film. It is merely a sad waste of time.

Just be wary. I have had back door trojans running which have run my computer along with my ip address - remotely ( this from hackers who did tis with malicious intent) and have had to wipe clean two hard drives) THREE YEARS WORTH OF MUSIC. People are mean and vengeful.

tweetey30 said...

I have seen the comercials on tv and they didnt look that great for that matter. I will take your word for it and not bother renting. Thanks for the review though.

mister anchovy said...

Although some friends of mine have raved about Borat, I don't think I would appreciate it, and I know Tuffy P isn't interested in going, so we're just taking a pass.

Anonymous said...

I've avoided this film, just because of all the hype. But at moments like this, I would like to have something to say.

Kate said...

I have this thing about seeing that movie based on the fact that the character is supposed to be from Kazakstan. I lived there many moons ago and it offends me on their behalf.

That said, it also looked really mean. I am human and I sometimes really want to be mean to people or laugh at them rather than with them, but that is thankfully not too often. It makes me really uncomfortable to see someone really messing with people who don't know that it's a joke. Kind of how I hate practical jokes. I haven't seen the movie and based on the previews I doubt that I ever will. I can take stupid, mindless comedy (I am a big SpongeBob SquarePants fan), but not stupid and mean.